Greek salad is kinda my thing. If I could eat one food for the rest of my life, it would probably be Greek salad. (But please, don’t make me choose!).
These days, I create all my salad dressings from scratch. Motivation?
- Homemade dressings do not contain preservatives or any sketchy ingredients.
- Made from delicious fresh, whole foods.
- No added sugar (you’d be surprised by how many bottled salad dressings contain sugar).
- Tastes better!
I’ve made my fair share of Greek style vinaigrettes, which are great. However, when I developed this recipe, I was craving a thick, creamy greek dressing- and it definitely hit the spot. By the way, this recipe is completely dairy free. The ingredient that thickens the dressing and creates the creamy texture is actually soaked cashews. Surprise! If you can soak the cashews for 8 hours or overnight, that is excellent, but a couple hours will do. Just measure your cashews, put them in a container with plenty of water (leave room for the cashews to expand), and you’re set!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Creamy Cashew Greek Dressing
A creamy Greek salad dressing, completely vegan!
- ½ cup cashews soaked in water overnight or for at least 2 hours
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp each sea salt and pepper or to taste
- 1-2 tsp water as needed, to thin out dressing to consistency of your liking
Drain and rinse cashews.
Add cashews and remainder of ingredients to a food processor or high powered blender. Blend until well combined and creamy.
If the dressing is too thick for your liking, add water in small increments. Toss on your favorite salad and enjoy!