I am on a beet kick, 100%. After my last post abouts the benefits of beets, I can’t seem to stop eating them! This recipe incorporates the health benefits of raw beets into an energizing smoothie. Sweet, fiber-filled strawberries definitely mask that earthy flavour most people associate with beets. Banana adds natural sweetness and a creamy texture, while hemp seeds provide protein and healthy fats! The most energizing ingredient in this smoothie is actually the cacao powder.
What exactly is cacao powder?
You may recognized cocoa powder more readily. Here is the difference:
- Cacao is the purest form of chocolate! Cacao is derived from the cacao fruit tree. It is made from cacao beans which are harvested from the inside of a cacao pod.
- Cacao is raw, whereas cocoa is more processed, undergoing higher amounts of heat during processing. In general, processing tends to remove nutrients such as vitamins and minerals. Note that cacao contains vitamins, minerals, fiber, and monounsaturated fats, as well as high amounts of antioxidants and magnesium.
Why is cacao so energizing?
- Cacao contains phytonutrient mood boosters, which promote a feeling of bliss/euphoria. In fact, consuming cacao triggers the release of endorphins.
This super food also contains theobromine, a natural energy boosting plant nutrient that will promote sustained energy throughout the whole day. Raw cacao does not cause the same high/crash that many of us experience when consuming caffeine.
- Cacao is super high in antioxidants, which fight nasty free-radical damage (same group of antioxidants you find in green tea)!
- Cacao smoothies/ coffee substitutes can help people make the switch from daily coffee consumption to going caffeine free or limiting caffeine amounts.
I also used one of my favorite fiber supplements in this smoothie- NutraCleanse. Produced in Canada, NutraCleanse contains ingredients such as
- Flax Seed
- Psyllium Husk
- Dandelion Root Powder
- Burdock Root Powder
- Fenugreek Seed Powder
One third of a cup supplies the body with 14 grams of fiber! I use a fiber supplement when I want to thicken a smoothie, and when I feel I haven’t been receiving enough fiber in my diet!
Without further adieu, here is the recipe for my ‘Feel the Beet’ Energizing Smoothie!
‘Feel the Beet’ Energizing Smoothie
- 3/4 cup strawberries
- 1/2 medium beet (about 4 oz)
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup hemp seed
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup almond mylk
- 2 tbsp nutracleanse (fiber supplement-optional)
Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until well combined!