Friends, have you been waiting for this one? You really can’t do a salsa series without creating a dip recipe, right?
If you missed part one or part two of the summer salsa series, take a look! We’ve got summer salad, we’ve got burrito style lettuce wraps. But the cherry on top, or the cherry tomato on top perhaps… is this Three Layer Dip. Consider this the perfect dip to take to a summer party. Here’s the beauty of the Three Layer Dip…
- It combines all our favourites: hummus, guacamole, and salsa!
- This dish can be low maintenance (using store bought hummus, guac, and salsa), or you can put a little extra love into the mix, like I did, by making your own hummus and guacamole, and choosing amazing salsa from local producers, Trogi Foods. Either way, the end result is stunning and tasty.
- If you choose to go low maintenance (store bought over home made) your friends will still be impressed with the aesthetic beauty of this layered dip. Plus, you can feel great about shopping locally and using preservative free ingredients when you use Trogi Foods Salsa!
Now, here’s the how to…
Step 1: Make the hummus. You can find my classic hummus recipe here. This is going to serve as the bottom layer of the dip. You’ll need about 1 to 2 cups of hummus. This may differ depending on the container you use. I used a 6 x 8 inch rectangular dish and used just short of 1.5 cups of hummus. Spread the hummus evenly across the bottom of your container.
Step 2: Make the guacamole. Here is the perfect guacamole recipe, shared with me by my sister (thanks Alyssa!).
- 3 avocados ripe
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp cilantro fresh, chopped
- 2 limes juice of
- 1/4 tsp ceyenne pepper or more, if you want it spicier
Peel and de-core the avocados. Mash the avocados in the lime juice, leaving some chunks of avo.
Add the diced tomatoes and onion, the minced garlic, the cilantro, and the cayenne pepper. Mix until well combined.
The guac will serve as your second layer. Spread the guacamole evenly over top the hummus layer.
Step 3: Use one jar of Trogi Salsa as your top layer. I used Trogi Hot Salsa and found that the hummus balanced the heat of the salsa really nicely. But you could use Original, or get a little wild and try their Mango salsa as the top layer! Pour the salsa evenly over top the guacamole and there you have it, a beautiful three layer dip!